On Sundays, we like to use up all that is in the fridge before we go shopping for more. The following ingredients were leftover from the last food shopping order, so I came up with a Sausage Scallopini dish.
2 packs of sausage
5 small green peppers
1 small bowl of spinach
2 cans of Hunts diced tomatoes
white cooking wine
box of rigatoni or pasta of choice
optional shredded mozzarella
1. Remove sausage from packaging and cut into 1 inch thick pieces
2. Slice green peppers into strips and set aside in bowl
3. Drain tomatoes using a pasta strainer and set aside
4. Brown sausage in lightly oiled skillet. I seasoned my sausage with minced garlic, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper *make sure not to over cook the sausage as it will simmer with the chopped ingredients shortly
5. Remove browned sausage from skillet and set aside
6. In the same skillet sauté spinach, tomatoes, and peppers with fresh garlic and white cooking wine and juice from a lemon
7. Add sausage back to the mix and let simmer with lid
You can serve by itself or over pasta.
I cooked rigatoni according to package for a nice rounded meal.
***Stay tuned to learn how to make cheesy garlic bread included in the picture above. Hint: Also made from leftover goodies.