The inspiration for this meal came from my Po Boy loving brother and came to fruition thanks to my “30-minute meal” idol, Rachael Ray.
This recipe can be found in the May 2015 edition of her Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine. It is a quick and easy meal that’s perfect for a light lunch.
Ingredients according to Rachael Ray:
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 pound of peeled deveined shrimp
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 cups of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of mayo
- 2 tbsp hot sauce *Tabasco was recommended but I had Frank’s Red Hot on hand so I used that.
- 1/2 Tsp of lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 hot dog rolls
*I was cooking for a group of teenaged linemen so, I about tripled the ingredients.
1. In a bowl season cornmeal and toss in shrimp
2. Fry shrimp in batches until golden
3. In another bowl mix together remaining ingredients: 2 cups shredded cabbage,1/2 cup of mayo, 2 tbsp hot sauce,1/2 Tsp of lemon zest and 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice.
Again, I was making a larger batch, so if your slaw looks different don’t be alarmed.
Divide slaw and shrimp among hot dog rolls and serve.
Thanks Rachael Ray for this crunchy and delicious sandwich idea!